Churchkey Farms | History of a churchkey
14879
page-template-default,page,page-id-14879,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-6.6,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.4.3,vc_responsive

History of a churchkey

Originally invented in 1892, a church key is the opener used to open a flat top beer can. It’s called a church key for many reasons.  Initially it was referred to as a simple hand operated device for prying the cap, called a crown cork or bottle cap, off of bottles (before beer cans existed).  It looked similar to large old fashion keys used by monks to open the church, as well as keep their prized beer they brewed safe. The name “ChurchKey” was then accepted and used for all tools used to open beer